Monday, September 24, 2012

This week, my class will be working on Compound Sentences.  I have made a complete unit, with a test and all for my class.  You can find it here:  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Compound-Sentence-Unit.
I am using it with my third graders, but it can definitely be used with fourth or even fifth graders.  I'm sure it can be adapted for second graders as well!  :)
Here are some pictures of what is included in the lesson.

 These cute little train cars are used to create compound sentences.  Students will write a simple sentence on a "topic train car", and pair it with another student's simple sentence using the same topic.  They will then choose the correct conjunction to put between the sentence.
This is part of the test that can be given at the end of the unit. in the unit.
There is also a PowerPoint presentation to be used at the beginning of the lesson, including a review of simple sentences, and subject and predicates; and also a fun foldable to remember the conjunctions.

And of course, who doesn't love SchoolHouse Rock?!?!?  I usually play this clip for my kids too.  :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODGA7ssL-6g  They always love it!  :)


4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world! Looking forward to sharing ideas!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newsest follower. Good luck with the blogging world. I love your blog's background. If you get a chance, check out my blog. http://funinsecondgrade.blogspot.com/
    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to find another 3rd grade blog. I Love the background of your blog. Can't wait to begin reading about all of your great ideas! I would love it if you stopped by when you get a chance.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower and fellow 3rd grade teacher!


    Aimee
    aimee@vanmiddlesworth.org
    Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks

    ReplyDelete